I never thought President Trump would lose in the shutdown debate. He understands strategy and PR much better than the Dems. I thought that in the shutdown fight the Dems didn’t know what they’re up against.
Maybe it’s beginning to dawn on them.
A tweeter named “On the Right Side of History” has outlined Trump’s strategy and the Dems’ dilemma. It’s a brilliant analysis so I am copying it here:
1. For a couple weeks now, I’ve been saying that DACA is not a bargaining chip, it’s a bait.
In fact, you just saw who Trump used it to bait the Dems into a Banzai Charge on his most heavily fortified position.
2. Having been humiliated by Trump, the smarter Dems in congress, especially in the Senate are going to be hella wary of doing that again.
3. It’s not just that Trump humiliated them, it’s also that the thought DACA was a certain winner politically, because all of their slanted Big Media polls have been telling them that for years.
But when it came time to actually act, the public melted their phones with anger.
4. So, now what?
Now, DACA is not a bargaining chip, it’s a wedge.
5. Again, DACA is not a bargaining chip, it’s now a wedge.
And Dr. President Trump is going to put it on the fault line between sensible Congressional Dems and their bitter, idiotic, lunatic voters and hit it as many times as he can with a sledgehammer.
6. Trump is going to use DACA to split Dems from their hardest-of-hardcore base: the ethnic agitators, the SJWs, the cat ladies, and the whole rest of that ranting crew.
7. Trump is going to do this by making the terms of any potential DACA deal so hard for Dems to swallow that they’re either be a) forced to abandon the Dreamers, or give Trump so much of what he wants that the Dem base will have an epic meltdown.
8. The Dems in Congress find themselves in yet another no win situation. They have to give Trump the moon or throw the Dreamers overboard.
There is no other viable option for Democrats. None.
9. Right now, the Dems are hoping, praying, begging for Jeff Flake and the Gang of Cucks to save them from this disaster.
But, here’s a little secret, that’s not going to ever happen again. The Gang of Cucks is out of business as long as Dr. President Trump is in charge.
10. Not only does Trump have the veto, which he’ll never have to use, but he’s shown smart Republicans how to win by playing hardball. Look at Mitch McConnell. Who ever thought he’d enjoy winning so much? He’s held the line for Trump and turned out to be a great ally of MAGA.
11. The Gang of Cucks will still reach for those favorable headlines, but unless Dr. President Trump gives his approval, through McConnell and his allies, no deal will move forward in the Senate. It’s that simple.
12. But, back to the Dems. Trump is going to hammer on that DACA wedge like he’s John Henry driving steel.
The desperation of the Senate Dems to make a deal, any deal, will be matched by Trump going out of his way to make the Democratic base lose their minds about Trump.
13. Trump will make the Dem base lose its mind simply by being Trump. A tweet here, a planted story there, an off-hand comment at a photo op; Trump is going to make the Dem base froth at the mouth with anti-Trump anger.
14. Two reasons for doing this:
1) It reduces the flexibility of the Dems to make a deal on their own terms. Their desperation will give Trump even more leverage.
2. He wants the Dem base to experience a complete emotional crash when the no-win is converted into a loss.
15. Part of Trump’s strategy is to demoralize the Dem base early, with a series of giant defeats/humiliations of Dem leaders. He wants Dem voters to crash hard before the summer. He’s got to make it clear that #RedTideRising is inevitable, so as to keep the Dem base at home.
16. And the way you make it clear is by hitting the Dems with his strongest and most popular positions. Did you notice that on Friday, literally five minutes after the shut down, Trump released the details of his infrastructure plan? That’s the next stage after the crash.
17. Trump is orchestrating an emotional crash for the Dem voters and the humiliation of Dem congressmen before the summer because he wants to offer the sane ones a chance at emotional redemption through MAGA and the infrastructure plan.
18. Yes, #RedTideRising isn’t just about energizing the Trump base, they’re plenty energized. It’s really about peeling off the regular democratic voters who aren’t lunatics, or who’ve decided to stop being lunatics. This includes a sizable number of blacks and legal hispanics.
19. After the DACA thing is settled one way or another, either of which will be a big win for Trump, Trump is going to pivot to infrastructure and start hammering it hard. Remember, infrastructure is a HUGE bipartisan issue.
20. There are 6 Dem senators up for reelection in MAGA territory. What are the chances that Manchin, Heitkamp, McCaskill maybe even Sherrod Brown, are going to rush to sign onto the MAGA’ing of infrastructure of America? And, what sort of signal does that send about Trump & co?
21. Yes, many prominent Dems, maybe even Chuck Schumer, are going to rush to stand next to Dr. President Trump as he pushes for his infrastructure package. The non-insane Dem voters, & those who’ve decided to stop being insane, will see that & think, “Maybe Trump isn’t so bad”
22. What’s that? You think the Dems won’t bum rush the stage to stand next to Trump on infrastructure day?
Okay, maybe they won’t. What are the optics of doing that? Oh, Dems hate America. The attack ads write themselves, don’t they?
See? Once again, it’s win-win for Trump.
23. Infrastructure is another win-win for Trump. The best the Democrats can do is tag along and get a little rehabilitation and praise from Trump. If they resist, the hammer comes down, hard. Tweet! More proof that they love illegals and hate America, really hate America. Sad.
24. And, if the congressional Dems jump on board the Trumpenwagen, at least for Infrastructure, what will that do to their base? It sucks the wind right out of the Trump hate, or it further splits the Dems from their most loyal/crazy voters.
Pick your poison, Senator Schumer.
25. The bad news is that Trump may actually get a DACA deal. But if he does, what he’ll get in return will be astounding, & it won’t include a path to citizenship, more like a green card. Meaning, if you get a DUI, you’re sent back. The Sword of Damocles insures their behavior.
26. When I say Trump will get the moon, I mean the Wall, end of chain migration, no to DACA parents, more ICE agents, and probably a couple other things I haven’t thought about. Plus, no path to citizenship.
The Dems in Congress are just desperate enough to go for that.
27. If Trump makes a deal to let the DACA kids stay, a lot of people on our side will whine, this even if Trump rakes in a huge pile of chips.
To those people I say, STFU. Stop being so short-sighted.
Trump is simultaneously co-opting Dem voters & insuring a #RedTideRising
28. I say STFU & stop being so short-sighted because you need to look at the long-term picture. What sort of immigration policy will Trump be able to follow after he has humiliated the Dems with a mid-term election victory? End to birthright citizenship. That’s the next prize.
29. In fact, if Trump pulls this off, ending birthright citizenship will be a piece of cake, because the smarter Dems will rush to readjust their platform to include more immigration restriction. Which will allow Trump and MAGA’ian GOP to move even more to the right.
30. So, once again, remember the Three Rules of the Trumpening.
1. Always trust Trump.
2. Never bet against Trump.
3. Don’t get tired of winning
Take a look at what has happened to all the celebrities and libs who have been against Trump. It doesn’t end well for them. It’s not that he goes after them, it’s just they sink themselves.
Yes, I agree. Never bet against DJT.